Thursday 5 April 2012

How current is this (illegal) hack? - Computers, Math, Science, and ...


CloudLayer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: Mar 28, 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 31


PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:32 pm?? ?Post subject: How current is this (illegal) hack? Reply with quote

Hello.

How current is this hack?

[well I took this out]

I am not a hacker. I wonder if this has been used on me during any period when I was not logged out - in the past I sometimes was "stupid," as the author of these instructions puts it -- I would rather call it "trusting that nobody was bothering to waste their time getting into someone with no money and nothing interesting going on in their life's account" - enough to not log out.

Last edited by CloudLayer on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top
1000Knives
Friend
Phoenix

Joined: Jul 09, 2011
Age: 21
Posts: 1226


Back to top
CloudLayer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: Mar 28, 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 31


Back to top
fraac
Tufted Titmouse
Phoenix

Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Posts: 1823


Back to top
Jtuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: Jan 22, 2012
Posts: 398
Location: Wales, UK


PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:40 pm?? ?Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think this is a prank. Why would he give list a throwaway hotmail account, then claim that he'll hunt you down if you try to hack it, when it's pretty clear he couldn't have access to your IP.

Also if you actually read it, in step 1 you have to login using the account. Which requires the password. This is really just a session hijack, you couldn't use it against a random hotmail account. A key logger would be much simpler and get you the actual password.

Jason.

Back to top
CloudLayer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: Mar 28, 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 31


Back to top
Jtuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: Jan 22, 2012
Posts: 398
Location: Wales, UK


PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:08 pm?? ?Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudLayer wrote:
Interesting... thank you fraac and Jason... how does a keylogger work, do they hack into your actual computer or is it just web-based? Do many hackers know how to do this?

Does anyone by chance know of any websites with good information on how to detect a keylogger?

A key logger can be a hardware device you connect between the keyboard and computer, or a software program you install on the computer. Anti-virus and malware detection can detect key loggers. Observant users can also spot a hardware key logger if they look at their cables.

It's unlikely that a hardware key logger is installed on a laptop.

Googling: detecting key loggers

Should find some relevant up to date info. Covertly using a key logger is most likely illegal in your jurisdiction.

Jason

Back to top
nat4200
Phoenix
Phoenix

Joined: Jan 11, 2011
Posts: 637
Location: It's girt by sea


PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 pm?? ?Post subject: Reply with quote

A keylogger is software and attacker needs put into your computer in order for it to work. It might be put onto your computer without your knowledge though eg. it could be on a specially crafted webpage that exploits a vulnerability in your webbrowser, or it could be snuck in with another program as a trojan horse.

If you are worried that someone is messing with your computer or your email I suggest you describe the issue rather than trying to learn everything there is to know about computer crime... it's not just that way leads to the dark side of the force, but I suspect all the possibilities are just too much too cover.

NB: Not everyone that uses keyloggers and steals data are called hackers, many are just criminals and script kiddies messing with hacking tools they acquired.

Last edited by nat4200 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top
CloudLayer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: Mar 28, 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 31


Back to top
CloudLayer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: Mar 28, 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 31


PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:30 pm?? ?Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me I have no interest in hacking, myself, so I will not be converted to the Dark Side. Well first of all I suspect my hotmail was hacked. Possibly Facebook too. But on hotmail an error message kept coming up saying your account is being accessed from an unauthorized device. Every so often an email reclosed or opened not by me. Spam filter not set to the suspicious one that a spammer would use, no contacts added or deleted, no other signs listed in help center as spammer or virus. Changed my password many times. Security q I realized too late was all along a publicly findable answer. Went through security process, have now been in contact with hotmail on helpcenter site for 11 days straight, they are telling me they provided me full IP logs but they only gave me logs from day of account inception, a random day six months later, and past 2+ months of access (another 6 months after random June day), no signs of unknown access, but they are also telling me IP logs are complete which they clearly are not. Have been quite inconsistent with my security, for months, cause honestly was already too stressed out to even seriously consider that signs of what appeared to be hacking could be true, and do actions to protect against. This [taken out] sounds likely but I have no clue how easy this would be for the avg hacker. Suspect personal contact may have hacked me but I really don't want to get into that, just saying this to explain I there is a good chance it wasn't random/money-motivated etc.

Last edited by CloudLayer on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top
CloudLayer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: Mar 28, 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 31


Back to top
Jtuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: Jan 22, 2012
Posts: 398
Location: Wales, UK


PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 pm?? ?Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Who else has access to your computer?
2. Do you use your hotmail account with a smartphone?
3. Do you access hotmail on any other public computers?
4. You do have a complex password?
5. Do you or have you used these passwords on any other sites?
6. Do you use MSN messenger with an unofficial client?

It might be understandable that they can only provide logs for your last two months of activity, plus your signup.

Jason

Back to top
CloudLayer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: Mar 28, 2012
Age: 25
Posts: 31


PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:50 pm?? ?Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Who else has access to your computer?
Potentially only family members who wouldn't do this.

2. Do you use your hotmail account with a smartphone?
No. I use it with a PC and have accessed it also from alaptop and a Kindle but I have done neither of the following in awhile, and gone through their account recovery after suspected hacking process twice, after which I def. have not used another device but got the "unauthorized access" message as recently as a few days ago repeatedly.

3. Do you access hotmail on any other public computers? Public.... I may have a few times, library etc., but not in a long time and def. not since account recovery process. Months ago accessed it on someone's comp who I can't say wouldn't do this. Not a public comp. though.

4. You do have a complex password? Before, no, I had a series of noncomplex passwords. Have had about 6 password changes in last 11 days, somebefore and some after 2 acct recovery processes. Now listed as "strong" I think but alerts of unauthorized access have occurred since had this one.

5. Do you or have you used these passwords on any other sites?
Yes, some of past ones unfortunately. FB, etc. Not anymore but def. yes in past.

6. Do you use MSN messenger with an unofficial client? I don't know what an unofficial client is I am afraid... messenger I still have but no contacts at this point.

Thank you for your help so far.

Back to top
questor
Phoenix
Phoenix

Joined: Apr 24, 2011
Posts: 754
Location: Twilight Zone


PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:52 pm?? ?Post subject: Hacking Reply with quote

I don't do any financial banking/stocks, etc. online, so no one can steal an account that isn't there. I do have a Walmart card, but I never put huge amounts of money on it. I am also planning on getting a prepaid credit card for non Walmart online purchases, but again, I won't put huge amounts of money on it, so no one can wipe me out, unless they access the computers at the bank. When using the gas pump, as soon as you are done with your at pump transaction, hit the clear key to disengage your account. Other wise some one at the station or elsewhere can still access the account, as it is still online.

I also don't have to worry about anyone getting access to embarrassing photos because I don't take those kind of pix, and if I did, I wouldn't put them online. I also don't put other embarrassing info online. My biz is my biz, not the biz of the www. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why anyone would put that kind of stuff online! What are people thinking--apparently they aren't thinking at all!
_________________
A Different Drummer

If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
Perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears,
However measured, or far away.

--Henry David Thoreau

Back to top
nat4200
Phoenix
Phoenix

Joined: Jan 11, 2011
Posts: 637
Location: It's girt by sea


Back to top

nike nfl jerseys katie couric barista university of kentucky ncaa oakland news alec baldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment